OF THE BASENJI CLUB OF GREAT BRITAIN
The Basenji Club of Great Britain was formed
on the 9th February 1939 and is the oldest established
club for the breed in the world.
The first committee included Lady Helen
Nutting, Mrs Olivia Burn and Major Richards MC. each of
whom had known the Basenji in its native
environment and were the early importers of the breed
into the United Kingdom. They, together with Mr K C.
Smith who had also known the breed in Africa and Miss
Veronica Tudor-Williams, formulated the first Standard
for the breed and, although expanded and updated, this
still forms the basis of the present day Standard. Thus,
the early history of Basenjis in Britain is closely
connected to the Club.
The second world war (1939 - 1945) disrupted
the activities of the newly formed Club and it was 1946
before the application for the registration of title was
made to the Kennel Club. The application form carried the
following statement made by the then Secretary, Mr Norman
Cutler: "the Club was formed in 1939 to look after
the interests of Basenjis. Application for registration
has not been made before because during the war years
members were inactive through National Service duties but
the Club was kept in existence by a number of breeders.
No other Society does or has used the title nor does any
other Basenji society exist in this country". The
original object of the Club including "to look after
the interests of Basenjis" are still retained as
Item 1 of the rules of the Club.
The first Annual General Meeting of the
Basenji Club of Great Britain to be held after the war
took place at the Goring Hotel, London SW1 with 15
members attending. According to the minutes, this number
was 60% of the membership. The Committee elected at that
time consisted of:
Lady Helen Nutting
Norman W Cutler, Esq
Miss Veronica Tudor-Williams
Committee members of Miss D Berry, Mrs B D Cutler, Mrs M
Cardew and Miss M Howis.
The first Championship Show held by the
Basenji Club of Great Britain took place on Saturday 27
July 1946 at Trinity Hall, Portland Place, London W1 and
the judge was Mr T Scott. Two Club Championship Shows
were held in 1947 and at the Annual General Meeting on 27
April 1947 a proposal was passed that
"The Basenji Club should hold no
further Championship Shows in 1947 after the July
Championship Show and that in future we should join
all-breed Championship Shows whenever we could obtain
CCs". It was decided that the Basenji Club
Championship Show should be held annually as near July
26th as possible. Thus, from 1949 - 1953 inclusive, the
Club shows were held as part of Richmond Championship
Show. In 1954 Richmond changed the date of their show to
September so the Basenji Club moved to be part of
Leicester Championship Show from 1954 - 1957 inclusive.
Windsor Championship Show was the parent show
in 1958 and 1959. In 1960 which was the 21st anniversary
of the Basenji Club, it once again held its own
Championship Show and has done so annually ever since.
The first Basenji Club of Great Britain Open
Show not held in conjunction with any other society show
was in 1978. The show was held in Hemel Hempstead with
Miss Margaret Christy-Davies (Azenda) making her debut as
a judge. There were 115 entries from 55 dogs.
The 50th Anniversary of the Basenji Club in
1989 fell on the same day that Basenjis were being
exhibited at Crufts Dog Show. This enables the Club to
start celebrating the special year on the exact date of
its formation, 9th February. Unhappily, on the eve
of the Clubs Championship Show held on 5 August
1989, Miss Veronica Tudor-Williams died. She had served
on the Committee in various capacities from the inaugural
meeting and was elected President of the Club in 1960.
In 1999 The Basenji Club of Great Britain
celebrated its 60 years. Still holding to the
original objectives of the founder members, the Club
continues to flourish and hopefully, with the goodwill of
the present members and those of the future, it will long
continue to do so.
Top of Page | Home Page
Last modified on Thursday, 07-Jul-2016 22:02:31 BST